I don’t know how it happened but I almost didn’t realize it was Cinco de Mayo! For breakfast I had an un-pictured bowl of multigrain O’s with chia seeds and half a banana, for lunch I had a kitchen sink sort of salad.
In the mix there’s 2 cups of baby greens, 1 small tomato chopped, 1/4 cup chopped pickles, 1/2 cup left over steamed sugar snap peas and 2 oz. chopped left over tofu. At work I combined equal parts of vinegar, olive oil and half a packet of mustard On the side I had 2 sliced of bread with 2 tablespoons of hummus that I forgot to get a picture of.
Lunch was pretty darn tasty and veggies is exactly what my body wanted! After work I walked to the gym and had an amazing workout!
I ran 2.25 miles on the treadmill and worked up a killer sweat. It really feels great to be back at the gym. After the run I did a quick mile on the elliptical and then went off to workout the ole arms with some free weights.
As you guys might have suspected I was super hungry when I got home! On my commute there were tons of people at the bars when it dawned on me, it’s Cinco de Mayo! Almost immediately I decided I wanted quesadilla’s! Problem is, I didn’t want a heavy calorie dish, I wanted something healthy, filling and delicious, is that too much to ask?
- 4 whole wheat wraps
- approx. ½ cup hummus or more depending
- 1 cup drained pinto beans (1/4 cup for each quesadilla)
- 4 Tbsp daiya cheese (or organic shredded cheese)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- garlic powder
- ½ red onion diced
- guacamole to garnish (optional)
- paprika to garnish
- In a pan sauté onions until fragrant and set aside.
- Next assemble your quesadilla’s by layering each of the ingredients (except for the guacamole and paprika) on half of each wrap and folding in half, like so.
- In a heated dry pan place the quesadilla to heat, after about 2-3 minutes flip to crisp up the other side. The pan may start to smoke a bit after the 2nd quesadilla, just lower the heat and keep checking to make sure they don’t burn.
- Top with a bit of paprika, slice and top with guacamole. Oh, and of course enjoy! The hummus really gives it the creamy cheesy affect! It was absolutely amazing! With the beans and hummus it really bumped up the protein and the hummus substituted the excess cheese. I can’t wait to make this one again!
Do you celebrate Cinco de Mayo? Back in the days I used to meet up with my friends and go out for drinks or 5 drinks. It was a lot of fun but it’s just not the type of thing I’m into. Plus, nobody ever had guilt free quesadilla’s, I might just have to invite the girls over to try this one